Are you looking for a fun way to do good in the Upstate? Do your kids constantly ask for a pet dog, but your just not sure if it’s a good fit? We have all the info you’ll need to decide if a Doggy Day Out is something you should sign up for right away!
1 / Dogs Are A Huge Responsibility
How many times did you hear that as a child, or have you said that as a parent? It’s true, and sometimes making the right decision for you or your family is a hard one, when puppy snuggles are involved! The good news is, you can still get some snuggles in, and be helping a rescue pet find the right fur-ever home.
The Greenville County Animal Care facility offers a program called Doggy’s Day Out. This is a great way to teach your kids what goes into owning a pet, but with training wheels.
2/ Help Find Your Furry Friend A New Home
Volunteers could come to pick up a dog and take them to most places where you would take a dog if you had your very own.
Doing this accomplishes several things:
- Lets you get those puppy snuggles you crave!
- Allows the dogs to get a break from the rescue facility and have some one-on-one attention from someone for an extended period of time.
- It allows Greenville Care to learn about the dog and its behavior away from the shelter. Often, the fear and anxiety of being in a shelter don’t allow their true personality to shine through. This makes it hard for the shelter to place the dog with the right owner.
- While you and your new best friend are out on the town, they will have a special vest that indicates they are available for adoption! You could potentially meet their new family while you are showing them off around town.
3/ Signing Up Is Easy
Due to COVID -19, the process now requires an appointment, but it’s still so easy to sign up! You’ll just need to call Greenville Animal Care and set up a time to pick up your Doggy Date. Pick-up times are between 9 am – 10 am, and your Doggy Adventure is a 2-hour window of time.
Once you arrive they will pair you with the perfect pup, and after going over a few things, you’ll be on your way!
Somethings to help you prepare for your Doggy’s Day Out:
- Go over the Doggy’s Day Out Program Manual to familiarize yourself with what is expected. It answers most of the questions you might have about your upcoming adventure.
- Figure out how you will secure your Doggy in your car. Preferably on a seat with an adult holding the leash or secured in the back of an SUV or a crate.
- As a safety precaution during COVID-19, they ask that you bring your own water bowl for your Doggy’s Day Out. This can be as simple as a clean plastic food storage bowl or a stainless steel pet water bowl from a dollar tree. Don’t forget to bring some water; most public drinking fountains are turned off due to COVID-19.
- Greenville Animal Care will supply the rest. They will send you on your way with a leash, poop-collection bags, treats, and a report card to provide info from your adventure.
4 / So Many Places To Explore With Your New Friend
The possibilities are nearly endless! The only restriction is that your Doggy’s Day Out Companion must remain on the leash at all times, so unleashed dog parks are prohibited. Other than that, go have fun! You can take your new companion to places like:
- Parks & Trails
– Paris Mountain State Park
– The Swamp Rabbit Trail
– Falls Park
– Holmes Park
– Trailblazer Park
- Window Shopping
– Home Depot
– Pet Smart
– Downtown Greenville
– Open-Air Markets
– Coffee Shops
– Sidewall Pizza
– Luna Rosa Gelato Cafe
– Blueberry Frog
– Carolina Bauernhaus
– Passerelle Bistro
– Papi’s Tacos
– The Lazy Goat
– Willy Taco – Feed & Seed
– and so many more, you can find on our guide to Where To Go With Your Best (Four-Legged) Friend On A Lunch or Dinner Date in Greenville, SC
5 / Everyone Benefits From The Program
I’m sure it goes without saying that spending time doing good for others makes you feel good too. Even though we had to bring Penny back to Greenville Animal Care after our time with her was up, my kids were glad to have had the time with her. We plan to go back as often as our schedule allows us to do this again!
Penny was an amazing dog, and we know she will find a loving home with people who will give her all the permanent snuggles she deserves!
Head to the Greenville Animal Cares Website for more info about Penny and all the other available pets.
To Follow our Doggy’s Day Out Adventures, head to the Wagging Around Greenville Instagram Account.