It’s been quite a year, eh? Our team at Kidding Around has tried to meet the needs of our readers all year and be on top of the stories that you care about. Our readership has grown more than 45% in 2020 and we’ve had more than 2.1 million page views on Kidding Around Greenville – thank you!
All that said, our readers really love holidays and seemed to search out things for their families that would try to mitigate the effects of what COVID-19 has done and tried to be as ‘normal’ as possible while making their kids happy. Also, our readers love the outdoors (as do we).
We’ve compiled both the top stories (besides our big guides like Halloween and July 4th) on our website and most-viewed videos on Facebook for 2020 for a snapshot on what was going on with Greenville families this year.
Top 10 stories of 2020 on Kidding Around Greenville
- Over 25 Light Displays Near Greenville – this was by far our most-visited story of 2020. Y’all love holiday lights!
- SC School Re-Opening Guidelines Have Been Released: Here’s what you need to know – our team spent countless hours reading through school plans and documents, watching school board meetings, interviewing school board members, and writing detailed stories about what to expect this year. This was a top priority for us since it was a top priority for our readers.
- Our 2020 Driving Routes of Upstate, SC Christmas Light Displays – COVID-friendly, fun, and free.
- Virtual Learning and Fun Things to Do Learning From Home – everything from virtual field trips to art lessons to staying active indoors, Melanie put together this super popular list.
- These 20+ Natural Swimming Spots Are Both Beautiful and Refreshing – getting outdoors was an even bigger deal than usual this year.
- This Emerald Lagoon Looks Like A Fairy Tale – we love Midnight Hole and obviously you do, too.
- Where to Find the Most Magical Waterfalls Near Greenville – waterfalls are awesome and we know where to find some of the coolest ones.
- These 13 Sandy Beaches in the Mountains Are Perfect for the Summer -when you can’t drive to the coast, these mountain beaches are perfect.
- Where to get cloth face masks in Greenville – no surprise here. We had one of the first stories up in our area about where to get masks locally.
- Avoiding Coronavirus (COVID-19) Without Boredom: Things to Do Outdoors in Greenville Without a Crowd – anything outdoors was a big draw this year.
Most-Viewed Facebook Videos
Q&A: GCS Virtual and eLearning
Understandably, a large number of parents tuned in to hear Bethany interview Jeff McCoy of Greenville County Schools talk about eLearning and the Virtual Program back in August.
Remember the snow we got in February?
Q&A with Derek Lewis
We are so grateful for all the interviews that Greenville County School Board member Derek Lewis did with us. He patiently answered a lot of questions from our readers about the school year in several Facebook lives. This was one of the most-viewed ones.
Local Farm Market Tour
Our readers love finding local farms and produce and this tour of a Saturday morning farmers market at Bethel Trail Farms was hugely popular.
Protecting Your Family From Loose Dogs
Talking about leash laws and how to protect yourself and your kids from loose dogs with local dog trainer Leah Cook was a popular video.
JDew’s Adventure Squad
Our readers loved JDew’s Adventure Squad videos this summer!
Picking strawberries in the spring is always a popular activity and readers got to see what Stewart Farms looked like early in the season.
How to Cut Your Kid’s Hair
And our readers are risk-takers, tuning in to hear how to cut hair at home when they couldn’t go to hair salons.
What was your favorite story of 2020?