Are you looking for things to do in Downtown Greenville, SC? Here at Kidding Around Greenville, our goal is to make sure people in Greenville can always find something to do whether they are looking for a free activity, an experience of a lifetime, or a way to spend a fun weekend. Downtown Greenville has some of the best museums in the upstate, is home to the Greenville Zoo, offers supreme walkability, and features the postcard-worthy Falls Park on the Reedy and Liberty Bridge. There is nothing quite like being downtown. This guide has everything you need to enjoy time in Downtown Greenville, SC.
Falls Park and Liberty Bridge
Everyone in Greenville needs to be sure to visit Falls Park and the iconic Liberty Bridge that is suspended over the Reedy River Falls. During the warmer months, you may find free outdoor movies, plays, family festivals, and other events in the park. Grab your picnic basket and set it up beside the Reedy River for a fun summer day. Don’t forget to take a photo by Greenville’s famous Medusa Tree.
Don’t miss a stroll down Main Street in downtown Greenville. Grab a coffee at one of our local coffee shops such as Coffee Underground, browse books at M. Judson Bookstore, and find an assortment of candy bins at the Mast General Store. Make sure to bring your camera, with beautiful backgrounds found in places like Camperdown Plaza and all along Main Street, you will need it!
Don’t forget to find the Mice on Main.
Swamp Rabbit Trail
Start in Cleveland Park and follow the Swamp Rabbit Trail from Cleveland Park, beside the Rock Quarry Garden, through Cancer Survivor Park, to Falls Park, and over to the Children’s Garden at Linky Stone Park (approximately 40 minutes walking or 15 minutes biking, one way).
This path will take you past some of Greenville’s most popular parks, interesting art installations, and the the Liberty Bridge.
Greenville Zoo is located right in the heart of the city of Greenville. The zoo is full of shade and has play spaces for children, and is a great addition to any itinerary if you are visiting Greenville.
Museums in Downtown Greenville
Four notable Greenville museums are located at Heritage Green in downtown Greenville.
- The Children’s Museum of the Upstate: Families with children will want to plan at least 4 or more hours for their children to explore the 3 floors of exhibits at TCMU. Be aware that the bottom floor is full of water exhibits so you may want to save that floor for last.
- The Upcountry History Museum is a great place to explore local history and has seasonal exhibits for children.
- The Sigal Music Museum has an extensive collection of historic pianos and harpsichords including a piano played by Chopin.
- The Greenville County Museum of Art is free to visit and focuses on American art. It has a large collection of watercolors by Andrew Wyeth.
Tours of Downtown Greenville
For the history buffs, you can also take several different tours of Downtown Greenville with Greenville History Tours.
If you’re not in the mood to walk during your tour, take a segway tour with Greenville Glides Segway Tours! Your legs will thank you later.
You’ll also find some interesting foodie and explorative tours on our list of 20+ Greenville, SC Tours, many of which are downtown.
Ride the Downtown Trolley
If you are looking for an easy (and FREE) way to travel around Downtown Greenville while also seeing the sights, check out the Trolley! All you need to do is find a trolley stop and you can even track the trolley with the GreenLink app. The trolley operates year-round and runs Thursday and Friday from 6 am to 10 pm, Saturday from 10 am to 11 pm, and Sunday from 10 am to 8 pm.
Free Things to Do in Downtown Greenville, SC
We like free things to do, and there are a lot of them right in Downtown Greenville! You could spend a whole day and not spend a dime. Here’s a list of free things to do in Downtown Greenville.
- Free Mini Golf at McPherson Park- You can play some free, 18-hole mini golf while enjoying the lovely park. You will want to bring your ball and putter. You can even host a mini golf party there!
- Mice on Main– Sometimes you just want to take a stroll down gorgeous Main Street. Finding bronze mice on the way is an excellent bonus, and will keep the kids busy!
- Explore the gardens that are found around Downtown Greenville! There are multiple, professionally designed gardens to spend some time in that do not even cost a penny.
Hughes Main Library
The Greenville County Library System’s headquarters is Hughes Main Library and it’s located on Heritage Green in Downtown Greenville. The large library is a great place to spend some time reading books, using the computer, playing with friends, or taking part in one of the library’s free programs for children, families, and adults. It is even open on Sunday afternoons!
Watch a Show, Concert, or Sporting Event
Greenville offers plenty of high-quality theatre and opportunities to experience the performing arts including full Broadway performances at the Peace Center. You will also find several sports teams that make Greenville their home, including Greenville Drive baseball, Greenville Triumph soccer, Greenville Liberty soccer, and the Greenville Swamp Rabbits hockey!
Here’s a list of the popular event venues in Greenville, SC that includes nearby dining and parking options.
- Peace Center – The Peace Center hosts classical and professional musicians, ensembles, and orchestras in addition to a full slate of Broadway performances.
- Bon Secours Wellness Arena – At the Bon Secours Wellness Arena, you can purchase tickets to hear famous pop musicians, attend large shows such as Monster Jam, and even catch an ice hockey game.
- Fluor Field– Home to the Greenville Drive minor league baseball team, Fluor Field also regularly offers special events.
- Greenville Theatre – The Greenville Theatre showcases local talent with a wide selection of dramas and musicals each year.
- South Carolina Children’s Theatre – The South Carolina Children’s Theatre performs multiple mainstage performances each year at their Bell Mainstage located downtown at 153 Augusta Street (across from Gather GVL).
- Alchemy Comedy offers weekly improv comedy shows at Coffee Underground.
- Glow Lyric Theatre performs opera, operetta, and musical theatre.
- The Comedy Zone is where to go for some of the best professional comedic performances.
- Centre Stage offers performances like musicals, comedies, dramas, and events that spark magic. They have performances year-round.
Entertainment Venues Near Downtown Greenville
If you’re looking to have some fun, Downtown Greenville is the place to go. With escape rooms, indoor playgrounds, and mini golf courses, the downtown area has something fun for the entire family!
- Group Therapy Pub & Playground is an excellent way to tap into your inner child while also enjoying some adult-friendly drinks! The pub offers large-scale, interactive art installations, indoor mini golf, and special events!
- Escape Artists Greenville– If you’re craving the opportunity to solve a mystery, then Escape Artists will give you that with their detailed escape rooms.
- Flying Rabbit Adventures is the place to go if you’re a thrill seeker! This high ropes and zip line course is located right off Laurens Road near the Greenville Zoo.
- Take Off Mini Golf – Located at the Downtown Airport, this mini golf course is situated on the outskirts of an airport! You can watch the planes come and go as you play a round or two.
- Fireforge Crafted Beer is much more than a brewery! They consistently have live music, bingo nights, and family-friendly events.
Restaurants in Downtown Greenville
Downtown Greenville has excellent dining options. Here’s a restaurant guide for Downtown Greenville, SC to help you find exactly the meal and experience you’d like.
If you’re heading out with your significant other, check this list of great choices for date night restaurants in Downtown Greenville, SC. Try CAMP restaurant, one of the newer Greenville restaurants. Maybe make the night even more romantic by pairing it with drinks at Up on the Roof before heading to Salsa at Sunset during the summer months.
If you’re seeking a little culinary experience, you can try out the Greenville Culinary Tours At the Chef’s Table. For those more interested in tasting some brews, there is also the Greenville Brewery tour with The Brewery Experience.
Downtown Greenville During the Holidays
Greenville is magical during the holiday season and there are lots of unique things to do. Ride on Santa’s sleigh, go ice skating, or check out professionally decorated trees while sipping cocoa.
- Holiday Things to Do in Downtown Greenville, SC
- Ice on Main
- The Greenville Christmas Market at The Grand Bohemian
- Holiday Lights at the Greenville Zoo
Parks in Downtown Greenville, SC
- Falls Park: Liberty Bridge, waterfall on the Reedy, many paths for walking along the river and gardens, right in the heart of Downtown Greenville along Main Street
- Unity Park: Large nature-themed playground in walking distance from Falls Park. The park has two parks, a splash pad, and a large communal grassy area to laze in.
- Cleveland Park: Two large playgrounds, access to the Swamp Rabbit Trail, home of the Greenville Zoo
- Linky Stone Park Children’s Garden: This Sweet little park is hidden away in Downtown Greenville with pretty gardens and whimsical fairytale features for children
- Paris Mountain State Park: Just north of downtown Greenville and near the Blue Ridge Mountains, this park offers great hiking trails and even swimming in Lake Placid in the summer.
Where to Park in Downtown Greenville
You’re headed downtown with a long list of fun things to do, but where should you park? Fortunately, Greenville has tons of affordable garages and plenty of street parking. Here’s a guide to where to park in downtown Greenville.